UTICA, N.Y. -- Several tenants of a Utica apartment building have been evacuated because of high levels of carbon monoxide detected inside. Utica Police say the owner of 500 Columbia Street contacted them to report that one of his tenants, the owner of Club Isis, was operating a generator and the fumes were putting the building's other occupants in danger.
The fire department came in found unsafe levels of carbon monoxide. They ordered the building be evacuated, and offered medical treatment to the tenants who live there.
Police say the owner of the club was using the generator because his power had been turned off by National Grid for non-payment. He also had his city cabaret licensed revoked earlier this month after he refused to let police into his business for an inspection.