A Village of Frankfort landmark is in ashes. Twenty fire crews from Herkimer and Oneida counties responded when tool manufacturer Union Fork and Hoe went up in flames around 2 p.m. Wednesday. Our Sarah Blazonis has more.
FRANKFORT, N.Y. -- An historic part of the Frankfort community has been lost as a fire destroyed the Union Fork and Hoe Company Wednesday. Seven buildings on the property went up in flames around 2 p.m.
The smoke was so intense, it could be seen rising into the sky from miles away.
As for the business, it was shut down six years ago after it was sold to Ames True Temper back in 2005.
Frankfort's Mayor says the company and DEC were still working to clear asbestos and other contaminants from the site.
While there are health concerns over the fire, there have been no evacuations so far.
"Obviously, a building, a factory this old, I'm sure with the roof and a lot of the materials inside is going to have some type of chemical involved in it that may be a hazard to a lot of people," Frankfort Mayor Frank Moracco said.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.