Neighbors in Corning are lending a hand to people who live on Wilson Street, where a home exploded on Friday. All the rubble from that home is scattered around the neighborhood and people are working hard to help out. As our Elyse Mickalonis tells us, everyone is shocked by what’s happened, but many say they’re not surprised about the community coming together.
CORNING, N.Y. -- It’s not just crews cleaning up debris from Friday’s home explosion in Corning.
"The chief's son was just on my aunt's roof. He blew all the debris out of the gutters, because they were finding paperwork that belonged in the house,” Kathy Cuda Denissoff, a former Corning resident.
What used to be a home is now reduced to a pile of rubble at 48 Wilson Street. The explosion was around 11 a.m. Friday. It sent wood, glass and insulation throughout the neighborhood. Officials say 86-year-old Robert Young and his grandson, 38-year-old Paul Young, were working on plumbing at Robert's house when it happened.
"We're digging through the rubble with heavy machinery to get to the exact cause. We have a good idea of what happened, but we have to verify that. Also on scene are contractors and other folks that are working to take care of the houses that were damaged on the peripherals,” said Corning Fire Chief John Tighe.
Kevin Croston was home on Friday, just two houses away from the blast.
"We heard a big bang and a thud and initially I thought it was a tree falling on the house,” said Kevin Croston, a Corning resident.
Croston says a 15 foot beam speared his roof and entered through a bedroom. His home has been deemed unsafe and he’s waiting to find out if there’s any damage to the foundation. He warns that some of the debris is still dangerous.
"You have to be careful walking. There's glass everywhere, nails, there are beams in the trees. Ten foot roofing beams hanging 50 feet from the trees,” said Croston.
YNN spoke with Robert Young’s son off camera and says he’s thankful no neighbors were injured during the blast and he’s grateful for the community coming together.
"Neighbors are helping neighbors, they’re concerned about the people who were injured, coming here to sweep up debris in their neighbors yards. I just had a woman offer her home to people who were displaced,” said Tighe.
Robert Young's son has also been helping out and checking in on everyone. Authorities will continue to dig through the rubble to get to the exact cause of the explosion and verify what they believe was a gas leak. Both Robert and Paul Young continue to be treated at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.