BREWERTON, N.Y. -- Several people were displaced after fire damaged an apartment building in Brewerton.
Crews were called to the fire on Miller Road and Chalkstone Course around 2:15 p.m. Sunday.
Officials believe the fire started in the basement and it caused extensive damage to one side of the building.
Initially, there were reports people may be trapped, but officials say everyone was able to get out safely.
A resident we spoke with says she moved fast after noticing the smoke.
"I first got my son, who was sound asleep, ripped him out of bed, then I ran all through the apartments to bang on the doors to get everybody up and check their handles to make sure if anybody's in there screaming,” resident Tammy McCann said.
Investigators are still looking into what sparked the fire.