Updated 08/08/2012 08:23 PM
The Spa Spot: Wrapping up Day 17
Alarmed Ndangerous was one of Linda Rice's two winners
My Miss Aurelia won a title last year and looked like a champion Wednesday by overcoming early trouble to easily win her first start of 2012.
- On the sunny 17th day of the season veteran jockey Mike Luzzi rode his first winner of the meet, Parachute Coney ($17.60) in the ninth and Kentucky-based trainer Merrill Scherer notched his first of the season, Do I Do ($16.20) in the fourth.
- There were a lot of pairs on the 10-race card: trainer Linda Rice won twice, as did jockeys Julien Leparoux, Cornelio Velasquez and Joel Rosario.
- NYRA announced that Marylou Whitney's 2-year-old filly Afleet Bird had been successfully treated for a fractured leg suffered Monday. She was pulled up and banned off after suffering the condylar fracture of the right front.
- Half the card was won by favorites, pushing the meet percentage over 34. Only two of those favorites were in the Pick Six and with four double-digit winners only two bettors had all six on their tickets. They collected $47,660 apiece.
- The on-track attendance was up one percent to 17,559. The on-track handle was down three percent to $2,557,599 and the total handle was down four percent to $10,927,331.