Updated 08/12/2012 06:22 AM
The Spa Spot: Morning Breeze
Day 21 begins the second half of the Saratoga season. Before the expansion of the meeting started in the early 1990s, the 21st day was the start of the final weekend of the meet. That was then and today we are moving past the midpoint with an 11-race program. The first post is 1 p.m.
- The second of three rounds of graded stakes for 2-year-olds are the featured races of the day. They are at the end of the program in the 6 p.m. hour because they are being broadcast nationally on the NBC Sports Network.
- First up in the 10th race is the 96th running of the Grade 2 Adirondack for fillies. Six are entered and two have already won overnight stakes, Callyano and Salamera. Sure to be the favorite is Stonestreet Stables' Kauai Kate, a 12-length winner on opening day
- The 107th Saratoga Special drew seven and the favorite is likely to be Shanghai Bobby, who has won both his starts for Starlight Racing and trainer Todd Pletcher. Drum Roll, a $300,000 2-year-old purchase in March by the principals of the Coolmore racing and breeding juggernaut, is also trained by Pletcher. Spurious Decision, trained by Richard Violette, is the only one in the field with a start and win over the track.
- Making her racing debut in the sixth is Beat the Drums, a Smart Strike filly owned by the Phipps Stable. This bay filly comes from a pretty amazing female family: her dam is multiple Grade 1 winning Storm Flag Flying, her grand-dam is multiple Grade 1 winner My Flag and the great grand-dam is the unbeaten Hall of Famer Personal Ensign
- This is the second of the four giveaway Sundays of the season.