Criminal case against Megabus driver will proceed
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ONONDAGA COUNTY, N.Y. -- The criminal case against the driver involved in last year's deadly Megabus crash will move forward.
John Tomaszewski appeared in Onondaga County Court Wednesday morning and his attorney asked to have the charges dismissed. The judge ruled against that motion, saying he believes the case should go to trial.
Tomaszewki faces four counts of criminally negligent homicide for the crash last September. He was driving the double-decker bus from Philadelphia to Syracuse when he missed a turn and ended up on the Onondaga Lake Parkway. The bus hit a low bridge, killing four people and injuring many more.
Attorneys for both sides say they're working toward a possible resolution in the case. "We're discussing a lot of options with Mr. Jeschke, with the defense, and we'll see where our discussions lead," said Senior Assistant District Attorney Chris Bednarski.
"I think it's fair to say that we're all of the opinion that this is on the cusp of criminal liability. It could be over, it could be less than criminal liability. So we had some frank discussions and I'm going to talk with my client about what he wants to do," said Defense Attorney Eric Jeschke.
During the hearing, the judge released a portion of the grand jury report containing recommendations to improve safety along the parkway.
You can read that report below.
Grand Jury report