Updated 07/25/2012 06:15 PM
Fire starts in mattress at Syracuse home
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Crews worked to put out a fire at a multi-family home on Court Street just after 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Officials say the fire started in a second floor apartment when a child was playing with a lighter and caught a mattress on fire. Officials say the residents tried to put the fire out themselves, but when they moved the mattress, it caused the fire to reignite.
"The message that we'd really like to send is to call 911 right away and it's safer for you to get you and your family out than it is to try and extinguish the fire yourself," said Syracuse Deputy Fire Chief Bill Elderbroom.
Officials say no one was injured and only two rooms were damaged.
The Red Cross is assisting those who lived in that home.
Firefighters say the families will be able to get back inside Thursday.